Day 1 Arusha – Momella Gate (1500m) – Miriakamba Hut (2500m)
In the morning, you will be collected from your hotel and after a 45-minute drive; you will arrive at the Arusha National Park Gate. At the national park gate, your guide will complete the necessary entry forms and while he does so, you can peruse the information boards of the national park. Once the formalities have been completed, and the hiking team consisting of porters from the surrounding villages is formed, you will then be driven a little further to Momella Gate. An armed park ranger will accompany you while you start your hike and get a first glimpse of the wonderful giraffes and buffalos. Once you have left the buffalo herds and giraffes behind, you will enter the acacia forest in which you will follow the Southern Route. After a steady 2-hour climb, you will reach Maio Falls and some picturesque meadows that are a perfect place for a picnic. After a rest, you will again be on your way and soon reach the well-known ‘Arched Fig Tree’. Here your park ranger will tell you about the formation of this tree and how it gained its shape forming an arch over the path. After another 1½ – 2 hours, your will reach the Miriakamba Hut. Evening meal and overnight stay at the Miriakamba Hut.
Breakfast; Lunch; Dinner
Day 2 Miriakamba Hut (2500m) – Saddle Hut (3550m)
In the morning, you will leave the Miriakamba Hut behind and follow a steep track with wooden steps upwards. Due to the gain in height, it will be noticeably cooler than the previous day and due to this, the hike will seem to get easier. The clouds also often hang in the rainforest and dip the lush vegetation in a moody atmosphere. After approximately 2 hours, you will reach the vantage point ‘Mgongo wa Tembo’ (Elephant back) at an elevation of 3200m, where you will enjoy a well-earned break. After another hike in which the vegetation changes from rainforest into an airy bushland, you will reach Saddle Hut (3550m) at midday for a relaxing lunch break. During the afternoon, you have the option of a side trip to Little Meru (3820m) which takes approx. 1 – 1 ½ hours and from where you can have excellent views of Arusha National Park and of the Kilimanjaro (approx. 80 km away). Back at the hut, a warm dinner is waiting for you before you will have the final preliminary talk in preparation for the following day’s climb to the summit.
Breakfast; Lunch; Dinner
Day 3 Saddle Hut – Momella Gate (2500m)
After an early start with tea and biscuits, you will leave for the summit at 02:00 hrs. By torchlight, you will follow the trail through the bush land to the so-called Rhino Point (3821m) in which the path turns into a little more challenging trek with occasional light climbs. You will follow the north ridge to the summit on which you walk on ground alternating between lava ash and rock. After approx. 4 – 5 hours, you will have the summit and the Tanzanian flag in your sights. From the summit, you will be able to enjoy the sun rising above Kilimanjaro and the fantastic view of Mount Meru’s crater with its steep sides and the “Ash Cone” in the middle. From there you will descend down from Saddle after a short rest to Mollela gate ready for transfer back to Arusha Town. END OF TREK.
Note: The summit stage contains a few simple but unsecured climbing passages. A good head for heights and sure-footedness are absolutely necessary. In adverse weather conditions (heavy rain, icy rocks and paths or thick fog) the park ranger can call off the climb to the summit. We do not advice climbs in the rain season (April and May).
Items included in price:
- English speaking park ranger and administration
- Personal porters
- Trekking according to travel plan
- Meals according to travel plan
- Two ways transfers from and to Arusha
- Overnight stays in mountain huts
- All national park fees and rescue fees
- And all government services.
- Two nights’ accommodation in Arusha before and after trek.
Items not included:
- Meals and snacks which are not mentioned in the travel plan
- Alcohol and soft drinks (coke, fanta etc.)
- Personal spending monies for souvenirs etc.
- Transfers from and to the airport.
Package Cost Includes:
- All transport to and from the mountain
- Accommodation as detailed on the itinerary.
- Free storage of excess baggage not required on the mountain trek.
- Services of a private mountain guide, cook and adequate porters to carry both trip provisions and client’s private bags.
- Park entry fee, accommodation and camping fees.
- All meals and catering equipment – breakfasts, lunches (packed when necessary) and evening meals prepared by our own cook. Special dietary requirements are catered for with prior arrangements at no extra cost.
Package Cost excludes:
- International Flights
- Visa, passport, vaccinations, medicines.
- Expenditure on alcoholic drinks, souvenirs, and other personal items.
- Optional excursions not detailed in the itinerary.
- Porters to carry an excess of 35 lbs (15 kg). Personal luggage per client.
- Travel and personal accident insurance.
- Tips and Gratuities